Bishop Joseph M. Gilmore : First Native Bishop of Helena
Description:
This wooden plaque was also created by Sister Mary Margaret Thien, OP., and given to Bishop Gilmore by the Dominican Sisters of Carroll College (originally from Speyer, Germany) to celebrate his Silver Jubilee as bishop on 19 February 1961. It is 22" long, 11" wide, and 1.25" deep. Stained glass pieces and a carved bishop's crosier occupy the left portion of the plaque, while the right illustrates many of Bishop Gilmore's accomplishments, which give light to all of the things he did for the Diocese of Helena. Though this was made before his death in 1962, this plaque demonstrates all that he did for the people of the Diocese of Helena. Throughout his 25 years as bishop (1936—1962), the Catholic population in the Diocese of Helena rose from 42,250 to 83,500, and Bishop Gilmore confirmed more than 22,000 persons, ordained 70 priests, consecrated 1 bishop, co—consecrated 2 other bishops, and was involved in the building/renovating of 20 new churches, 12 rectories, 9 convents, 3 high schools, as well as college and hospital additions. Written in white letters is Bishop Gilmore's motto: "Quaerite Regnum Dei" — "See you all the Kingdom of God."
Object ID:
2003.010.001
Click to Enlarge
Bishop Gilmore plaqueBishop Gilmore plaque