Bishop Joseph M. Gilmore : First Native Bishop of Helena
Description:
Though Bishop Gilmore spent time with clergy and priests, he also servied the people of the Diocese of Helena by dedicating buildings, and blessing and confirming youth and adults. On 24 May 1941, Bishop Gilmore blessed the Grotto at Carroll College. St. Charles Hall can be seen in the background. During his time as bishop (1936—1962), Bishop Gilmore oversaw the construction and completion of a library/science building (currently Simperman Hall) and Borromeo Hall, which was originally intended to be a seminary building and now houses students, offices, classrooms, and a few priests.
Object ID:
2003.010.023
Click to Enlarge
Bp Gilmore blessing the GrottoBp Gilmore blessing the Grotto