Bishop Joseph M. Gilmore : First Native Bishop of Helena
Description:
Bishop Gilmore expressed interest and concern for the children cared for at St. Joseph's Home in Helena. Bishop Gilmore greets children from St. Joseph's Home in Helena, conducted by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth from 1893 to 1965 (when it closed). In 1961 after the rise of Fidel Castro, Msgr. Dan Harrington, with Bishop Gilmore's permission and blessing, began to look for housing for Cuban children. By January of 1962, around 106 Cuban children, ranging in age from 8 to 18, were relocated to the Diocese of Helena, 36 of them to St. Joseph's Home.
Object ID:
2003.010.034
Click to Enlarge
Bp Gilmore with children from St. Joseph's Orphan's HomeBp Gilmore with children from St. Joseph's Orphan's Home