Preserving Montana's Catholic Heritage : Helena Diocesan Structures and Historic Preservation
Object ID:
2013.003.009
Description:
St. Patrick Church, Butte

The cornerstone of the present church was laid in 1882 by Fathers Dols and DeRyckere in the then Silver Bow Junction mining camp. The brick structure with its 108 foot steeple was finished by Christmas but not dedicated until September 1884.

A three—story brick school was constructed on the corners of Washington and Park Streets. It was staffed by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth.

Father Peter DeSiere served as pastor between 1893 and 1918. During his time additions were made to the side aisles of the church, enlarging it to its present size. In 1899 the present rectory was built to accommodate the pastor and three assistants. Just to the south of the school, a convent was constructed in 1906.

Under the tenure of Msgr. Michael English (1942—1967) stained glass windows were installed and the front entrance altered in the late 1940s. The interior was completely modernized and rich Carrara marble statuary and altar introduced in 1958—1959.

St. Patrick is included in the Butte Historic District.
Click to Enlarge
St. Patrick's Butte, MTSt. Patrick's Butte, MT
St. Patrick's, Butte, interiorSt. Patrick's, Butte, interior