Preserving Montana's Catholic Heritage : Helena Diocesan Structures and Historic Preservation
Object ID:
2013.003.010
Description:
St. Joseph Catholic Church, Butte

A fire on the evening of February 1, 1911 destroyed the first St. Joseph church at the corner of Delaware and First Streets. This wooden structure housed the church on the first floor and a school for 350 students on the second floor.

Within ten months, with the assistance of trustees who solicited funds, the current church and also a separate school were erected. The church, standing at the corner of Utah and Second Streets is a Greek Revival style church designed by Albert O. Von Herbulis, who also designed St. Helena Cathedral. The first mass was celebrated by Bishop Carroll and Father J.B. Thompson on Christmas day, 1911.

St. Joseph Church is a contributing building within the Butte—Anaconda National Historic Landmark District.
Click to Enlarge
St. Joseph's Church, Butte, MTSt. Joseph's Church, Butte, MT