Preserving Montana's Catholic Heritage : Helena Diocesan Structures and Historic Preservation
Object ID:
2013.003.013
Description:
Anaconda West Side Historic District
St. Paul Catholic Church, school, and convents occupied an area on the 300 block of West Fourth and West Fifth Streets in an approximately 22 block area of the western half of the Original Townsite of Anaconda. This area was placed on the National Historic Preservation list in 1998.

The brick church of St. Paul was constructed in 1888 under the leadership of Fr. DeSiere its first pastor. Nearly a century later it was closed and subsequently demolished.

Ursuline nuns erected a residence and school known as St. Angela Academy nearby in 1902.
In 1907 it was taken over by the parish and the Ursulines continued to teach in the parochial school until after World War II.

By 1923 increased enrollment mandated expansion of the school. Built by architect M.D. Kern of Butte, the original architect of St. Angela Academy, the new two—story brick school, standing at the corner of Fourth and Maple streets, housed 8 class rooms and a large social hall. Innovative copper shingles, invented by the Anaconda Copper Mining Company were originally used on the structure. At the insistence of parish women, a new home for the Sisters was also built. When the Benedictine Sisters came in the 1950s to assist in staffing the school, they rented the Conley Residence at 400 Maple Street.

Most of the buildings composing St. Paul Church campus were demolished in 1984.
Click to Enlarge
Ursuline Convent, St. Angela's Academy, AnacondaUrsuline Convent, St. Angela's Academy, Anaconda
St. Paul's Catholic Grade School, AnacondaSt. Paul's Catholic Grade School, Anaconda