The Cathedral of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, 1866—1925 : The "Old" Cathedral
Description:
Bishop Brondel Chalice and paten was given to him by the priests of the Diocese of Helena on the occasion of his 25th sacerdotal anniversary, 17 Dec 1889. This is a gothic style metal chalice with relief of grape vines and gold plated cup.
It is supposed that at an unknown time, someone took these sacred vessels from Helena to Stevensville, MT. They appeared there in 2011. At that time, Colleen Meyer, Director of the HIstoric Mission of St. Mary's in Stevensville, MT, informed the archives that someone had left the chalice, paten and a ciborium on their porch. Bishop Thomas requested that the items be returned to the Diocesan Archives, but the Historic Mission chose to retain them. However, after cleaning and displaying them at the museum, the Historic St. Mary's Mission on 28 Feb 2013 brought these items to Bishop Thomas in Helena.
Object ID:
2003.006.016
Click to Enlarge
Brondel chalice-paten in caseBrondel chalice-paten in case
Brondel ChaliceBrondel Chalice
Brondel chalice inscriptionBrondel chalice inscription
Brondel chalice-patenBrondel chalice-paten
Brondel chalice Historic St. Mary's Mission letterBrondel chalice Historic St. Mary's Mission letter