The Cathedral of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, 1866—1925 : The "Old" Cathedral
Description:
Bishop Brondel stands near the bell tower on the north side of the Sacred Hearts Cathedral in Helena, Montana. The other person unknown. Originally the frame church of the Sacred Hearts used a steamboat bell to call Catholics to worship. Before the brick church replaced the frame, a bell was ordered from Jones Bell Foundry in Troy, NY, weighting 2000 pounds and costing $846, freight included. According to Father Palladino, S.J., "it took 60 days to transport it from Corinne [UT] to Helena, and was blessed June 29th." INDIAN AND WHITE IN THE NORTHWEST, p. 341.
The bell was erected at St. Mary's church in Helena after 1914 when St. Helena's Cathedral was constructed. It called this Catholic community to worship until it was damaged by the 1935 earthquake, taken down and stored in a garage until 1987 when George Larson rescued it. A new tower was built for it at St. Mary's.
Click to Enlarge
Bishop Brondel - Bell tower- Sacred Hearts CathedralBishop Brondel - Bell tower- Sacred Hearts Cathedral
Old Cathedral bell at St. Mary's, HelenaOld Cathedral bell at St. Mary's, Helena
Bell plaque -St. Mary's, HelenaBell plaque -St. Mary's, Helena