The Cathedral of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, 1866—1925 : The "Old" Cathedral
Description:
This photo of Catholic Hill in Helena from the 1890s, depicts the first structure [No. 1] dedicated to Catholic worship. By 1866 resident Catholics of Helena and Father Kuppens, S.J. met, and contracted with John Sweeny to erect a frame church 22 by 60 feet for about $2500. The church was dedicated on 01 November 1866 to the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, the title proposed by F. J. Lacroix. Originally the building probably sat where the second church was built in 1874 at [No. 2] on this map because it was moved a short distance to accommodate the new structure. The frame church was then used as a school and a meeting hall until it was demolished. [No. 3] Bell tower. [No. 4] St. John's Hospital. [No.5] Bishop's residence built in 1886. [No.6] St. Vincent's Academy for Girls. [No. 7] St. Aloysius Day School for Boys built in 1890.
This photo is a gift from Sharlene Spalding.




Click to Enlarge
Catholic HillCatholic Hill