The Cathedral of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, 1866—1925 : The "Old" Cathedral
Description:
This hand—forged silver plated soup tourine was used as a baptismal bowl at the Cathedral of the Sacred Hearts. Perhaps someone from the congregation gave the tourine to be used as a substitute for a baptismal font.
The bowl and lid are etched with leaves, medallions and scalloped shells. The legs have been repaired and re—enforced with solder.
The maker's mark on the center bottom of the bowl indicates it was forged by Rogers—Smith & Co. of New Haven, Conn. which was organized to manufacture silver—plated holloware. The company was sold in 1863 to Menden Britannia Co, but the New Haven operation continued to 1877. The maker's mark contains the number 1867 and 3. The first might be the year of production, but may also represent a range of years within which it was made.
Object ID:
2001.001.011
Click to Enlarge
Cathedral of Sacred Heart baptism bowlCathedral of Sacred Heart baptism bowl